At one time or another many of us have said yes when we wanted to say no, no when we wanted to say yes, and maybe when we really didn't mean it. At one time or another, we've pushed someone's boundaries, invaded their personal space, or accepted a lukewarm yes or quiet acquiescence…Read More
Blog - Essays, Articles, Videos, and Tips
We had so much fun recently on the Everyday Mindfulness Show talking about being single, dating, online dating, and mindfulness...that we decided to do a Part II. This time we delved into age gaps, religion and faith, openly discussing sexual interests....Read More
In the latest session of In the Bed with Dr. Jenn, I tackle a 28-year-old woman's question about overcoming her sexual shame. She doesn't feel good about the number of sex partners she's had....Read More
One question I get asked a lot, from individuals who are in a long term relationship and don't feel satisfied in their sexual connection, is: How can I start a conversation about sex with my partner? I speak to this in this podcast interview...Read More
Does camping in nature inspire your friskiness? Or does the experience of bugs, dirt, discomfort, and stinkiness quash your libido? I believe that the fresh air and relaxation, with your evenings by a campfire, can offer some outside the box opportunities for sexual connection and play.
"What are the most important things to make sex more enjoyable when camping?" I asked my friends this past weekend. We were seated around the picnic table, enjoying two days and nights of tent camping in a Julian, CA, campground for the 4th of July weekend. And although I was sleeping alone in my tent, I felt inspired to write a blog about sexy time when camping. After some joking and cajoling, our group mind came up with some pretty good tips. (Note: These tips are more specific to campground camping in a tent, instead of RV camping or hardcore backcountry camping.)
1. Comfort. For comfort's sake, I really recommend an air mattress. I understand that this is the opposite of hardcore camping, but for most folks, the physical and mental rigors of "real" camping just won't evoke sexy feelings. I suggest a higher quality self-inflatable air mattress that does not leak air during the night. Otherwise, the hard ground under your butt or knees while trying to roll around in passion can just mean painful sex.
2. Cleanliness. Consider cleanliness and odors, particularly depending on how important these are to each of you. It's great if there are showers and bathrooms available, to keep up with your normal hygiene patterns. If not, bring some wet wipes and baby wipes (for genitals) to spruce up. I also recommend paper towels and water in your tent. All of these can be helpful for before, during, and after sexual play.
3. Privacy. If you or your partner are self-conscious about noise or creating sexy shadow puppets on your tent walls, choose your spot carefully. If possible, choose a tent spot that is in a more secluded area and doesn't have a bright light that will shine on your tent.
4. Slow down. Are you camping at a higher altitude? Then slow down, because even if you're in good physical shape, the exertion of sexual activity with less oxygen can leave your heart pounding -- and not in a good way!
5. Teasing. Also in terms of taking a slower approach, why not start your erotic exchange earlier in the evening by the campfire? Campfires can feel romantic, relaxing, and mindful. Tap into this calm, non-goal-oriented energy to kick things off. This can go in so many directions, such as kissing, touching genitals or breasts through clothing, offering sexual words of affirmation to each other, or sharing sexual fantasies.
6. Bugs. And finally, be aware of bugs such as mosquitoes that can get into your tent. Do a flashlight search of your tent at nighttime to guarantee you won't have mosquitoes nipping at your ass during sex!
One last thought: If you're looking to use your camping time to specifically spice up your sexual play, consider bringing along some new toys, lubes, or sensual items. The highly regarded company Good Vibrations has some sex toy kits and packages that may be a perfect accompaniment to your weekend romp.
I hope you now feel ready to add some spice to your camping this summer!
~Dr. Jenn Gunsaullus, San Diego Sexologist, Sociologist, Sexuality Speaker