I think sex is complicated. Actually, to clarify that, I think that sexuality is complicated. Sexuality encompasses the physical act of sex, as well as gender roles, values, beliefs, cultural learnings, orientation, attraction, desire, orgasm, power, exploitation, and pleasure, among other things. Like i said, it's complicated.
But the complication around sexuality, particularly female sexuality, is one of my favorite topics to discuss, particularly when I can delve into both theory and practice. I got to do just this in a recent interview with Cynthia Luois on her new podcast show Redefining Revolutions. Cynthia brought a fantastic vibe to the interview, from her intellectual questions, to her reflective feminism, and her vulnerable stories. These are the main topics we discuss in the podcast below:
1. Mindful sex and how to have it
2. Masturbation - the ecstasy and the shame and how to break that shame
3. Sex and sexuality as it relates to race, religion and gender
4. The empowerment and objectification of woman - well which is it, damn it!?
5. Some of Dr. Jenn's favorite myths and plays to have long lasting relationship sex
6. Sexual violence and knowing pleasure from a safe space again
~Dr. Jenn Gunsaullus, San Diego Sexologist, Sexual Health Speaker, Sociologist